Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inauguration

I’ll be watching the inauguration, which starts at midnight here, over the internet. Even though I’d rather be watching it with others in the States, or better yet, in the multimillion-person crowd on the Mall, it’s novel to be one of the viewers participating in the first presidential inauguration widely broadcast over the internet. And I’ll no longer take the event for granted after living in a country where the transition of power is an opaque process conducted amongst a small group of unelected leaders.

Such a symbolic historical precedent – the inauguration of the first black president – couldn’t have come at a more crucial moment. A day after celebrating Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, Americans are given another chance to come together to commemorate a milestone that many people, benefiting from the opportunities found in a diverse and free society, have struggled to achieve. Americans fought for desegregation and voting rights to ensure equal opportunity for every citizen and the swearing in of our 44th president strongly validates the system we created.

I’m afraid we can’t rejoice for long because we’re facing a lot of urgent problems. I’ve read a few books on modern American history (on the presidency in the 21st century, on the Cold War, and on the CIA) in recent weeks and they’ve tempered my expectations. Nothing can prepare one for the unexpected challenges the country and the president will face. I think being more removed from the events of the past year in the States has shaped my perspective so while I’m immensely proud of President Obama’s inauguration, I also expect a lot of stumbles and letdowns from his new administration. So, best of luck, but on the 21st let’s put our heads down and get to work.

No comments: