Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gov. Blagojevich gets bagged

Corruption rears its ugly head again in Illinois. Governor Blagojevich tried to leverage his authority to appoint a replacement for Barack Obama’s Senate seat for personal gain. And his brazen conduct was unbelievable.

One offer was $500,000 in return for Illinois’ Senate seat (which is a bargain, given that the average Senate race costs several millions of dollars), or you could provide a cushy job for the Governor and his wife in return for the Senate post.

If those offers weren’t good enough, that's no big deal. “‘If I don’t get what I want and I’m not satisfied with it, then I’ll just take the Senate seat myself,’ the governor said in recorded conversation.”

He must be in pretty deep denial about the charges. “The governor was woken at 6 a.m. with a telephone call from the F.B.I., telling him that two agents were waiting outside with a warrant for his arrest, and that he should quietly open his door and let them in, to avoid waking his sleeping children. Mr. Blagojevich’s first response was, “Is this a joke?”’

No comments: