Monday, September 29, 2008

The Brewers clinch the NL wildcard

I didn’t pay any attention to this year’s baseball season until early September, and to my surprise, when I first checked the MLB standings the Brewers were above .500 and had a comfortable lead in the wildcard race. Then they started their late season slide, fired their manager, and slipped from the top spot in the wildcard standings. I thought they were done for, but they surprised me once again and made it to the postseason for the first time since 1982.

Perhaps the two biggest events in Wisconsin sports, Brett Favre retiring (only to unretire and be traded) and the Brewers making the playoffs, both happened while I was overseas. Both events were inevitable and the speculation and interest intensified each year about the Brewer’s success and Favre’s career. It’s been a big year in Wisconsin sports.

No comments: